Question
Posted by: Sweety | 2008/10/20

Iron deficiency

Dear Doc,

In June 2008, my house docter tested me after I fainted at work and we found out that m iron levels are low (6). I had a Hysterectomy 3 years ago because of constant bleeding. She also tested my urine and there were traces of protein, went on a drip ( 2 sessions) did not help, iron went down to 5. Went to specialist, urine test, again protein in water. Went for scopes nothing wrong with my intestines, used Ferrimed for a month but I still feel the same. Headaches, dizzines, did a few urine tests and there are always protein in my water, and no anitbotic helps.

Could the protein in my water be the sources of my iron deficiency?

Dear Sweety
Protein in the urine could be a sign of kidney damage and kidney damage can cause anemia in the long term. Ask your GP to do an UKE blood test, FBC and diff and a kidney sonar - if then needed, he can refer you to a nephrologist.