Question
Posted by: MEGAN | 2004/02/22

Q.

IRON AUTRIN CAPSULES

I have started taking Autrin* capsules because I cont seem to get my iron levels up. They are at 14 now and I have been taking iron supplements for at least a year. You said I should have test done to see why my levels are so low. What test do I ask for and what do you think it could possibly be. Each Autrin casule contain:

VitaminB 15ug
Ferrous Fumarate 350mg
Ascorbic acid 150mg
Folic acid 2mg

Is this going to work doc?
If peanut butter is so high in saturated fat why is it ok to eat if I have high cholesterol?

Expert's Reply

A.

Dear Megan
The kind of tests that one would consider if you are not replenishing your iron stores are: tests to see if you have a problem with absorbing iron or investigations to see if you are losing too much iron (heavy menstrual losses or internal bleeding for example). You may need iron injections to stabilise the condition, so do go back to the dr and discuss this inability to get your iron back to normal. The tablets should have done their job in about 3-4 months. Peanut butter contains more mono- and polyunsaturated fat than saturated fat, so it and other nuts are beneficial for lowering 'bad' LDL-cholesterol and increasing 'good' HDL-cholesterol and are usually permitted in moderate quantities on diets for patients with cholesterol problems. Because nuts have such a high energy content, it is important to eat small portions and not to overdo your intake.

4
user comments

C.

Posted by: neha | 2013/12/02

all persons who have lack of iron in body .those persons shouldbe take this medicine.

Reply to neha
Posted by: Mamoni Gayen | 2013/10/21

why we will use Autrin?

Reply to Mamoni Gayen
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/10/17

Are iron injections dangerous? should i be scared?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/09/19

I went to the doctor and I told the doctor that I have lost weight and he run some test only to find that I lack of iron. Advice me what should I take to rise my iron in the body.

Want to comment?