Question
Posted by: Tired | 2009-10-21

Iron - another ?

What is the difference between Iron Transferrin Saturation and just Iron Transferrin.

My saturation was a little out of range and the transferrin was fine.
I had twins 2 years ago and had to have iron tablets after the birth and again a year ago for very low iron levels.
Now the levels seem fine but the saturation a little low.

Hallo Tired
Transferrin is just the level of transferrin protein in the blood while the transferrin saturation is a ratio between iron binding capability and serum iron levels x 100. Another name for Transferrin saturation is Iron saturation. It may range from 15-55%.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009-10-21

Hallo Tired

Reply to cyberdoc