Posted by: L | 2009-01-11

Iron and multivitamin supplements

I have been prescribed to take iron supplement Autrim, but have not done so the last 3 weeks over the holidays. I also yused to take Supradyn Recharge multivitamin which seemed to work for me.

However the last week I have been extremely tired and faint. I have now restarted taking Autrim, and would like advice as to what multivitamin suppllement you could suggest would work for me as I would also like to start exercising albeit 10 minutes a day to get started, but I have absolutely no energy and low blood pressure. There are so many brands on the shelves I don' t know where to strat quite honestly

Advice/recommendation would be most appreciated

Dear L
Wishing you all the best for 2009. If a doctor prescribed the Autrin for you, it is because you are probably suffering from anaemia. It is essential for you to take the Autrin every day as prescribed for 3 months or longer until your blood iron and/or vitamin B12 levels are back to normal. It takes a long time to replenish your body stores of iron and/or vit B12, and you should not just stop taking the supplement for 3 weeks at a time. This is why you are feeling so faint and tired again. First complete your iron and vit B12 treatment and then go back to the dr who prescribed the Autrin and let him/her to a blood test to see if your blood levels of iron and/or b12 are back to normal. Don't start with any exercise until the supplement has had a chance to start working (2-3 weeks) and then be gentle with yourself. Anaemia can be a most debilitating and exhausting condition. You should also ensure that you eat plenty of foods that are rich in iron and vit B12 such as liver, red meat, fish, egg yolk, iron-fortified breakfast cereals and dried fruit to boost your intake.
Stick to the Autrin till your anaemia has cleared up. The Supradyn Recharge does contain some iron and B12, but not in high enough doses to treat anaemia. You can use Supradyn again when your anaemia is better.

Posted by: L | 2009-01-16

Thanks so much for the advice, since writing the e mail I have started taking myAutrin on a daily basis and do feel better, but not necessarily have enough energy for exercise. I will keep at it for a period as you say before trying to exercise too much

Many thanks for the time

Reply to L