Posted by: Emily | 2009-04-16

Dear Doctor

What is a healthy iron rate? The doctor has tested my blood, and he said that mine is 17, prescribed me iron capsules. I was worried because I am experiencing hair loss now for 7 months, and I had my iron checked and thyroid tested which was fine, just the iron which was a bit low.

Thank you.

Dear Emily
I can't say for sure what the values for normal blood iron are because I don't know what the dr was reporting on: standard blood iron or ferritin. Your hairloss does indicate a lack of iron, so do take the iron capsules for 3 or more months because it takes a long time to replenish your body iron stores. Foods that are rich in iron include liver, red meat, fish, poultry, egg yolk and breakfast cereals and bread that are fortified with iron and dried fruit like raisins. Have a glass of orange juice or another good source of vit C (strawberries, pawpaw, spanspek guavas or citrus fruit) with breakfast when you take your iron capsules because vit C helps iron to be absorbed more efficiently.