Question

Iron

My Dad who is 65 years old recently had a blood test which showed his iron level is high. He is quite healthy - has been on ten-blocka for many years for high blood pressure, and he takes simvastatin for cholesterol. What can he do about the iron?
I don' t think he takes any supplements with iron in them - he takes a vogel mineral base powder, and I don' t think that has much iron.
Many thanks

Dear Anon
This is often hereditary - the treatment is to donate blood on a regular basis , this gets rid of extra iron in the system. Depending on how high it is, he may need to donate once a quarter or twice a year - discuss with his GP?
See http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hemochromatosis/index.htm