Posted by: AF III | 2009-01-22

IQ Testing

Dear Cybershrink,

I was wondering where I could find a reliable online IQ test for teenagers. I' m 15 and know that I need an IQ test specialised for teens (under 16).

I did score 120 on an online IQ test, but they are often unreliable.

I hope that you could provide me with a link or otherwise a facility where such tests can be taken in the Johannesburg area.

I wouldn't trust any online IQ test, as a proper test with reliable and usable results requires a psychoplogist both to administer it properly, and to interpret the results. And the iest needs to be age and culture appropriate. But many psychologsts can arrange for such tests, and even your school may be able to do so.
They used to do good IQ and vocational testing at the National Institute of Personnel Research in Joburg ( and they had a Durban branch, too ) but I don't know if they still do so.
MY question would be WHY do you feel the need to have an IQ test done ? ON it's own its not very useful. IF you are having study problems, other tests would be more useful to find out why and how to solve them. If you are wondering wheher you'll be able to succeed in various jobs or professions, again, different tests would be far more useful. SOme people have a very high IQ and are useless, other have a rather low IQ and are excellent.

Posted by: Purple | 2009-01-23

You can have an IQ test done wiht any pshcometrist who is part of a psychology practice, or with a psychologist who does IQ testing.
You can also contact Mensa directly, they have public tests around the country, you pay a fee and can do the test.

I don' t think that you will be given your child' s score though, they will just give an indication of whether it is high low or average.
I' m not totally sure, but I think that for children they can just tell you if they are one or two or three years ahead in their verbal or mathematical or spatial reasoning or behind or on par - they don' t give an actual score.

I think online tests are just for fun because the genuine ones are timed, and you can' t really effectively time an online one because of differing connection speeds etc, and also it' s not a controlled environment, so a test taker could ask other people for help or use a calculator.

Reply to Purple