Posted by: Jane | 2009-10-01

IPL - good or bad?

I' m 24 and have a rosacea and facial redness. I found a company that advertise the follow service.

" Photo rejuvenation using IPL is a non-invasive treatment that treats skin damage without disruption of the skin’ s surface, hence, no “ down time” .

Intense Pulsed Light can simultaneously treat a wide range of facial concerns safely and effectively, leaving your skin smoother, clearer, brighter and younger.

These include the signs of photo-aging or sun damage and age spots, Rosacea and facial redness, red acne scars, fine lines, unwanted hair, brown pigment, mottled pigmentation and other blemishes." 

I dont know if this is just plain nonsense and advertising or if this would work.

Could you please advise.

Thanks so much for your time

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Jane, thank you for the question and my apologies for the long delay with my response but was away on a short break.
IPL treatments (Intense Pulse Light) generally speaking are extremely efficient in removing unwanted pigmentation, superficial veins (including Rosacea), improving the texture of the skin and reducing pores, and increasing collagen and elastin production of the skin. IPL hair removal is also an effective hair reduction tool. The effects of IPL are dependent on two main factors:
The technology used – not all the machines are of the same effectiveness
The operator using the machine – understanding the technology and choosing the correct settings for individual differences in one’s skin is a vital part of the treatment success
Good IPL manufacturers to look out for are:
Syneron eMax & eLight, Lumenis, Palomar, & Ellipse
Rosacea may be difficult to treat and as such at our practice I often add laser vein removal technology in combination with IPL technology to achieve the best possible clearance.