Posted by: minky | 2011-09-09

Iodine deficiency

hi dr how does one test for iodine deficiency? ive always had an enlarged multi nodular thyroid, not over or under active? Would it be a usual blood test at a lab and would i need to take prescribed meds to correct it or not? Over the counter ? i dont use much salt in cooking and thats how i grew up eating, not much salt, could it be the cause of the enlargemnt? my sister and dad also have enlarged goitres. Its starting to worry me cosmetically if it is iodine def will correcting that shrink this area or not? if its not related to iodine how can i cosmetically correct the enlargement?
Thanks any referrals in PTA?

I suggest that you consult your doctor for a blood test to determine if you have iodine deficiency. Correcting iodine levels, should resolve the enlarged thyroid, if this is the cause.