Question
Posted by: Jackie | 2008-11-05

Iodine allergy child 12 yrs old

Good Morning
My child was diagnosed as being allergic to Iodine recently , at times I struggle with him , could it be diet related ? I am aware of the shell fish no-no ext , please assist me in a basic guide as to what to avaoid food wise.
Thank You

Dear Jackie
Iodine is found in all fish, shellfish, mussels, clams, seaweed and in all table salt sold in SA. Table salt is fortified with iodine by government decree to prevent our population from developing goitre. You may be able to buy table salt without iodine in some health shops - the salt must be marked "Non-iodated" and when you check the list of ingredients it should not list iodine at all. Seaweed extract is used in products like ice cream and some desserts. Also check all food supplements, vitamins and mineral mixtures and medications - for example certain creams contain iodine.
I hope this will help with your child.