Posted by: Angie | 2009-03-24

iodine allergy

How will I know if I have a thyroid problem if I am already suffering with an allergy to iodine.No one seems to be able to tell me.When I had an thyroid test they said everything was fine.How can it be fine when last time I had iodine I vomitted for five days.

Dear Angie
Is your iodine allergy so severe that you are also not able to eat iodised table salt? Table salt has been iodated in South Africa for many years and if you have been able to use it then you would be obtaining enough iodine to prevent an iodine deficiency. Other sources of iodine in the diet are fish and shellfish (are you also allergic to these foods?). You don't mention in what form the iodine was when you vomited for 5 days - was this from food or perhaps during an X-ray examination? If you do react violently to table salt that is iodated, fish and shellfish then it may be prudent to have your thyroid levels checked regularly. If you do not react to iodated table salt and fish, etc, having an allergy test to pinpoint exactly what level of iodine you can tolerate may also be a good idea.

Posted by: lola | 2009-03-24

i also have an iodine allergy but my thyroid tests also came out fine- i also struggle to lose weight. currently following a biokeneticist' s eating and exercise plan.

Reply to lola