Question
Posted by: Please Help | 2008/09/30

Involuntary commitment

What is the procedure to have someone involuntarily committed in South Africa?

Complex. IF you are a relative, you have more say in the matter, and would need to discuss this wih the individual's psychiatrist ( if he/she is or has been under treatment already ) or with their GP if not, or even with the police locally, if you can find someone intelligent at the station. There has to be a proper expert assessment of the individual and the situation, to assess whether they are a real danger to themselves and/or to others.

3
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/03/08

My step father is insane, manipulative, paranoid and spiteful, besides hiding cheese and other food, alcohol, anything left about gets ferried off to his garage which he keeps locked, eventhough my sibligs' and my storage is in there. My mom defends his craziness ALWAYS. I want him admitted fosr psychiatric evaluation asap. How do I go about it?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/04/17

nOT REALLY HELPFUL AT ALL-sorry as nobody is willing to help and the person in question is manipulative ,but threated to kill his mother

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/12/07

Hi is no one willing to help? I have a husband with bipolar and schitzophrenia and he refuses medication and is abusive, he is also very manipulative and everyone turns a blind eye. How can we get them admitted before they end up harming us or themselves?????