Question
Posted by: Caitlin | 2010/07/01

Inverted nipple

Im 23 years old and my left nipple always seems to go inwards, especially when it is really cold.. but it tends to stay more inwards than outwards. Have I got an inverted nipple and is this common/normal?.. Is there something I can do to make it ''normal'' or do I need to think about a form of surgery?
HELP

It sounds like you may have an inverted nipple, but it does come out. There isn't anything that needs to be done. Breastfeeding is usually not a problem and breastpumps can be used at that time if necessary.

4

Posted by: Purple | 2010/07/02

Glad to hear you feel a bit better.

You could try looking around baby shops such as baby city in the area where they keep the breast pumps etc. Sometimes you can find a little silicone gadget that some pregnant women wear while pregnant to try to gently pull out inverted nipples. I don''t think they have a permanent effect though, and I think that as more medical people gain an understanding about breastfeeding and that the nipple is just the pipe the milk flows through and its the areola that must be sucked, that these will be found less and less in shops as people will realise they don''t need to buy them. So, if you wore one it might draw your nipple out for a few months but it would then probably just invert again.
Pregnant women wear these for about 7 months.

There is no cause for concern with inverted nipples, its not harmful and doesn''t need to be fixed. I understand you are upset about the cosmetic appearance, but if I were you I wouldn''t rush into surgery as that can affect your ability to breastfeed.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Caitlin | 2010/07/02

Thank you..

Do you know if there is a way to correct an inverted nipple besides having surgery.. like things I could do at home to help it not be inverted. Its comforting to know its common and others also live with it, so im not alone.

Reply to Caitlin
Posted by: Purple | 2010/07/02

I think inverted nipples are very common. Most people don''t seem to notice until someone (usually a nurse who knows nothing about breastfeeding) tells them they can''t breastfeed (which they can, as baby has to take the whole areola in the mouth, not just the nipple, so it doesn''t affect breastfeeding, just makes latching a bit more difficult in the beginning).

Reply to Purple