Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2011-11-16

Intrusive thoughts and haunting nightmares

I have suffered from deeply intrusive thoughts ever since I had a series of nightmares when I was sixteen. Four years later the dreams and thoughts still occur on the odd occasion to the point where I obsess about them which in turn, leads me to thoughts of suicide - the dreams are terrible and vivid. I do tend to have anger outbursts and frequently obsess about small things it has reached the point where I can see that the heater is off, I can even unplug it and put it in the cupboard, but I will still be worried about it. Are these symptoms related and what is the first step to take when getting rid of them?

Thank you for your time. I would deeply appreciate any help you could give me.

First and wisest step towards soling these problems would be to see a good local psychiatrist for a full assessment and diagnosis, followed by a discussion of your treatment options. Sounds like a variety of OCD, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Fortunately this, and some other possibilities, usually respond really well to proper treatment, which may use medications such as some also used to treat depression, and also CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, which is a talking therapy involving unlearning bad habits of thought and behaviour, and replacing them with more fruitful responses. Within months, or maybe even sooner, you could be feeling a great deal better, and be regaining control over the symptoms which trouble you.

3
Posted by: Jay | 2011-11-16

Here we go :
.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder

Apologies regarding the previous spelling above.
Good Luck
Jay

Reply to Jay
Posted by: J | 2011-11-16

Hi There
I am not a doctor , but I suffer from the same thing.
It is called OCD and maybe Anxiety. Google Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. One would like in bed at night and obese about putting things off (things that can cause harm- such as stoves- ovens - irons etc. An even if they unplugged you still need to check.

It is tough to live like this. But I have found great relief from Medication and Therapy. I am sure you will benefit greatly from this as well. The first step would be to see a good psychiatrist and or physiologist I image. Good Luck

Reply to J