Question
Posted by: ROBBIE | 2011/04/18

INTRUSIVE THOUGHTS

Dear Professor,

I was a regular on this forum many years ago. With ur exceptional advice my lige changed alot. I am back agin with another issue. About a month ago, All of a sudden I got this intrusive thought about hurting my little son and wife, This thought is constanly on my mind. Everytime I look at him I get scared, " what if I do someting" . I am a very successful attorney, have a great family, and Friends...I come with a history of axiety and panic dis-order....I will never hurt my family or my child...and every time I think abt it I start to cry....I belive this cud be OCD...but I would really appreciate ur opinion on this matter. I have been free from anxity for the last 4 years...thanks to u ...cheers robbie

Nice to hear from you again, R, and pleased to hear that things went so well for a time. It's disappointing for you that they've dipped a bit more recently, but the improvement was proof that things CAN be better. This sort of irresistably awful recurring thought sounds very like OCD, and should respond well to proper treatment of OCD, with CBT ( Cognitive-behaviour Therapy ) and mediction. See a good local shrink for assessment and iscussion of particular treatment options, as this sort of thing clears up better the sooner one starts dealing with it

1