Question
Posted by: Stacey | 2010/07/02

Introducing dogs

Hi .
i have two dogs a male and female ( Male beagle mix and the female a lab mix). My husband i recently bought a hosue and he owner was unable to take his dogs, so i said we will keep them , both females, the one is a great dane and the other a husky mix. The proeprty will be big enough for all 4. But what is teh best way to introduce them to each other without fighting? Im scared the other dogs are aggressive becuase its there property , would it be best to take all 4 to a park or something and should the current owner be there? Thanks

Hi Stacey

I would advise that you contact a dog behaviourist/trainer to assist you with this matter as you may encounter major problems if the animals do not interact well following there 1st introduction.

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/07/06

Hi Stacey

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2010/07/02

I would definitely introduce them off the property, in neutral territory, and since both the ''new'' dogs are strong breeds, it would be a very good idea for the previous owners to be present. If something happens, the new ones may well not recognise your authority, and you could have your hands very full.

I''m sure you have discussed the dogs'' personalities with the people who know them well - they will presumably be able to tell you how the dogs are with strange dogs.

I would perhaps recommend you consult a behaviourist, who would give you useful advice and perhaps also be present in the initial stages.

Reply to Chill