Posted by: Rick | 2010-03-23

Introducing cats to a household with small dogs

Morning CV,

Im moving to a new home with my 2 female cats, my fiances home has a small maltese and a small foxy. Do you have any advice on how to introduce them safely?

The house is large with many rooms and doors and the yard is well segmented with fences and gates, so keeping them apart is not a problem, but I prefer to at least try and live harmoniously if possible.

Any tips/advice?

Dear Rick

I would suggest getting a Feliway diffuser for the cats in a area of the house where the dogs cant go. As long as the cats have their own area and can escape they should sort the dogs out in a couple of weeks.

Posted by: Rick | 2010-03-25

Thank you catlady, good advice.

Reply to Rick
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010-03-24

Also Rick, please do not let them out of their quarters all of a sudden but wait for at least a week. Let thm roam around the house when everything is closed and locked up and after said week/10days let them out and observe them. Thank heavensyou have Easter coming up so you can be at hand to check how things go.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Rick | 2010-03-24

Thank you George, thats sound advice!

Reply to Rick
Posted by: George | 2010-03-24

Keep seperate at the start, let the cats settle into one room. Get good strong cat transport boxes - then daily, or a few times a day, put cats into the box, and place the box into you lounge - and let the dogs come in. Let them sniff, cats are safe, but watch all the time, to ensure dogs are quiet - probably bring maltese in first, when he ignores cats, then slowly start process with Fox Terrier. Also ask your Vet, some Vets have specialised in behaviour and they sure can help.

Reply to George