Question
Posted by: Susan | 2012-08-28

Introducing a new pup

We have a female bouvier, about 6 years old, with a lovely personality. She has had pups about 2 years ago. In the meantime, our male bouvier died and Lola has been alone ever since (except for the miniature schnauzer who lives inside). During the weekend we bought a new male bouvier pup, 7 weeks old. Lola is extremely jealous and aggressive towards the new puppy. I''''m sure she''''ll kill him if we leave them alone. I remember it was the same when we got our previous male bouvier. She dominated him and fought him until he was full-grown, and as a result he grew up to be a real "   sissie"   , scared of everything. I really don''''t want this to happen again. How do I go about introducing the new bouvier to the female? Isn''''t there medication or something we can give her temporarily to temper her aggressiveness? She''''s never been aggressive towards us or our children. I expected her mother instincts to kick in, especially since she has had her own litter in the meantime. But this has definitely not happen!

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Susan, i would suggest that you get immediate help by way of calling in a behaviourist to help you sort this out. Dealing with a situation such as this on line, is a bit like teaching you to scuba dive by email - not a good option! Please get hold of me at scotty@scottysdogs.co.za with information as to where you live and I will put you in touch with somebody in your area. thanks Scotty

2
Posted by: ryan | 2012-08-30

its not always the case that a bitch who has had a litter will develop motherly instincts towards a strange puppy. just be careful not to punish and exclude the adult and then reassure and cuddle the puppy as that could compound the problem and cause jealousy. the new pup isnt a part of the adults pack yet and might take time for them to come around but you should definately seek professional advice if the problem persists.. I had a similar situation recently and now pup and adults are the bestest of buddies!

Reply to ryan
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012-08-30

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert