Posted by: Ethelred | 2009-10-14

Introducing a new cat

Two months ago I lost my precious 13 year old Ragdoll to cancer. I went to a shelter ' to look'  and came home with a flighty little girl, around 18 months old. She' s a cross Siamese, tabby point, so a bit of a mix.
The problem is, I have an 11 year old tabby who, while wondering where her best friend has gone, is being terrorised by the new girl. Bronte is a shy, nervous cat, and she' s very stressed out at the moment, shedding everywhere.
I am able to separate them with a security gate which shuts off the bedrooms (the cats live inside) while I' m at work, but I have seen them hissing and spitting at each other through the gate when I' m home.
Madelaine is let out only when my chores are done and I can sit down in the lounge and keep an eye on them. Bronte will be asleep on the chair while I play with Maddi on the floor. As soon as Bronte shows signs of getting up, I have to put Maddi away.
It' s been 6 weeks. Will it get better, and how can I help the situation?

Dear Ethelred

Feliway diffuser is your answer.

Posted by: Cybervet | 2009-10-15

Dear Ethelred

Feliway diffuser is your answer.

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Kate | 2009-10-14

Try a feliway vapouriser.
The last cat I introduced was almost 2 years ago and still the hissing goes on but prior to that every cat I introduced settled eventually. I guess it is a lot to do with personality and probably and age thing too.
Funny thing is if I bring home a new cat my other cats move out in disgust and protest for about a week yet my Jack Russels love new cats but when I brought home my Lab puppy at the end of last year the cats were fine but the dogs boycotted - LOL

Reply to Kate