Question
Posted by: Nadia | 2009-09-23

Introducing 2 puppies to each other

I wonder if you can help me.

I bought a female miniature dachshund - she was 5 weeks old when I got her. She is now 10 weeks old.
Yesterday I bought a female basset hound puppy, she is 11 weeks old.

When we introduced the two last night we were a bit disappointed - maybe we are just over reacting.

The basset wanted to play but the dachshund seems like she wants to fight. We want to just leave them - I am just scared that the basset steps on the dachshund and hurts her.

Do you have any advise regarding this problem. This morning I left them in two different areas just for in case. Tonight we can observe them until Sunday.

Please help.

Dear Nadia

Buy a DAP diffuser and let them be. Just interfere when they want to kill one another.

3

Ok - they seem to get along. Only when we get close to them they get a bit more " angry"  - just jealousy I suppose! I can see it' s only them playing - nothing more...
Today is the first day that they are alone from 8 - 5. I hope they will be ok! Thanks you guys! I' ll keep you up to date.

Posted by: WR | 2009-09-26

Usually the problem with two pups of the same age... Let them be - they must sort out their hierarchy issues. The best you could do is leave them be....and only stop them BOTH it they are really going for the kill - which under normal cirmcumstances shouldn' t happen anyway - one will most probably submit...
Another issue to keep in mind is that the Dachsie has probably never learned bite-inhibition form siblings or mother as hee/she was taken away from the litter at a too young age...
7 weeks is in mo opinion the earliest a pup should be taken away.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Jose | 2009-09-23

Disappointed about what? What did you expect?

Give them a chance!

Reply to Jose