Posted by: Blommie | 2009-03-19

Intrauterine device (IUD) - how safe?

Hi Dr

I am 28 years old and have 1 child. I do not want any more kids. I am so paranoid of falling pregnant again even though I am on the pill I still force my husband to wear a condom aswell. We have been married for 5 years and don' t enjoy our sexlife because of this. I decided to get the IUD. I went to my doc last Friday and everything was fine, had intercourse on Saturday (was very nervous that it would fail) then I started spotting on Sunday and it hasn' t stopped since. Is this normal? And how safe is the IUD in terms of pregnancy rate? I am still so paranoid of falling pregnant!
Please help

It is fairly normal. The IUCD is 98% safe.

Posted by: Anon | 2009-03-19

Hi Blommie

This is probably not going to help you coz I fell pregnant whilst having the IUD. My son was two and a half and I did not expect to fall pregnant. My first few months with it inserted was also a bit uncomfortable but then it eventually " settled"  and I hardly knew it was there for months afterwards, until the pregnancy news. My gynae removed it when I was already 2 months pregnant. I must say though out of all the contraceptives it is probably the safest but there' s always a chance.