Posted by: Dee | 2009-09-18

Intracranial Pressure again?Please,help?

In 2004, after weeks with a severe headache (which was thought to be,because of thyphoid fever), my husband collapsed at work.we rushed him to hospital, our doctor thought it might be a brain aneurysm.It wasn' t an aneurysm,, he was tested for meningitis and after the lumbar punch they found that the pressure (of the cerebrospinal fluid?) was very high.They could not find any tumors or any cause for the headaches and raised pressure of the CDI fluid.Several Lumbar punches and 1 blood patch later, they said that whatever it was ,was not going to kill him.They also said a shunt was not an option, because he was too young (27 years old).He was " one of those unlucky people who would have a chronic headache" .He has been coping with it ever since.But in the last two weeks, the headaches are getting severe and he is complaining of a full feeling in his head.I am scared, is it a " normal headache"  or is the pressure building again?(Pain tablets are useless)Please, advise me?What should I look for?What questions do I need to ask? HELP.please,I am desperate.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Dee,

It is absolutely essential that your husband has a proper medical assessment, which should include a neurological examination. The reason for this is to make absolutely certain that there is not some serious or life threatening underlying medical condition causing the headaches. Although this is uncommon, it is essential to exclude this possibility before doing anything else.

Once this has been done, then the next part of the investigation is started. The correct way to deal with the problem is to have a proper diagnosis of the underlying causes of the headache. If these are treated, the headaches no longer occur, and it is no longer necessary to rely on potentially harmful “rescue” medication.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” assessment. There are many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, and no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, are co-ordinated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables a more comprehensive treatment plan, in which all the contributing factors are addressed. This assessment must include examination to determine the presence of tension in the head and neck muscles.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).