Question
Posted by: Jacque | 2011/05/25

Intollerance/IBS/Allergies what the???

Everytime I eat wheat, dried fruit, glass of milk, red wine, i mostly have bloatiness, cramps, headaches. Should I get tested for the above or should I just start eliminating things?

Dear Jacque
I am always nervous when individuals start to eliminate foods without having proof that the specific food or food group definitely is causing their problems. The list of foods you react to (wheat, dried fruit, milk, and red wine) and your symptoms (bloating, cramps, headaches) are quite divergent and could indicate multiple food allergies or intolerance and/or irritable bowel syndrome plus a tendency to migraines. In addition cutting out all milk and dairy can expose you to calcium deficiency, so I think the safest action would be to ask your medical doctor to arrange for food allergy or intolerance tests. At the same time, the dr can also examine you to determine if the symptoms are food-related or not. For example, if you have IBS then you could react to wheat, dried fruit, etc. If you do test positive for one or all these foods, then please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assist you to avoid the offending foods, but still ensure that you have a well balanced diet and don't develop any deficiencies.

1

Dear Jacque