Question
Posted by: Helen | 2011/10/11

Intolerance to baked goods

Hi Diet Doctor
Please can you assist?
I cant tolerate any bread, cake, biscuits or pasta made with wheat or rye including gluten free baked goods. I get bloated and pass foul wind. Why is this happening? If I was gluten intolerant surely the gluten free baked goods would be OK but they are just as bad for me.

Dear Helen
I agree that if you were gluten intolerant then eating gluten-free baked goods should not cause bloating and winds. The problem with this type of reaction, is that it may not necessarily be caused by an intolerance or an allergy. Deficiencies of digestive enzymes, or irritable bowel disease (IBS), could just as well be causing your symptoms. I would recommend that you have a medical examination and if you are not suffering from enzyme deficiencies or IBS, then ask the dr to do allergy tests.
I do hope you can pinpoint what is causing this digestive problem.

1

Dear Helen