Question
Posted by: ANRE | 2011-05-24

INTOLERANCE FOR SOMETHING... HOW DO YOU FIND OUT?

Hi, I have Irritable Bowel Sindrome... and I have been using those LPV pills.

My stomach made these gargling noises all the time and I have lost some weight in the mean time and I use these pills occasionally which has taken the noises away almost completely.

However, I still have a problem with flatulance. I suspect that I might be intolerant of something... how do I find out or where can I find a list of foods to avoid?

I know for example, things like Broccoly, Cabbage etc. is a no-no. But I find that sometimes I notice an increase when I eat all bran flakes as well as meat products like hamburgers or mince.

I basically have this problem all of the time. This makes me think that it might be something I eat all of the time that is causing this like milk or bread?

Can they do blood tests or something to determine what I might be intolerent for? Or what can I eliminate from my diet to try and establish what the cause is?

Dear Anre
You can certainly ask your medical doctor to send you for food intolerance or allergy tests. If you should be intolerant or allergic to wheat or milk, then I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you to not only eliminate the allergens, but to ensure that you still eat a balanced diet and don't develop deficiencies. To read more about IBS, click on ‘Diet'nFood’ at the top of this page, ‘You are what you eat’ and “Healthy GI tract’. If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. The registered dietitian can also help you with this aspect of your treatment. Your doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to your doctor about such medications, when you go to arrange for the allergy/intolerance tests.
IBS can be triggered by stress, so to relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-05-24

Dear Anre