Question
Posted by: shona | 2011/03/27

Intestinal Metaplasia

I have had a gastrocope. The results were that I have intestinal metaplasia. The specialist has told me that this condition could turn cancerous and we are going to repeat the scopes every now and then. However, I see I also have mild mitotic activity with cytological atipie. He did not say anything about this.... the bit I can pick up on the internet about this is it is also not good?. Or am I wrong does everyone have a cetain amount of mitotic activity in their stomachs?, please advise is it also not good to have?
thanks

Hallo Shona
It is a sign of irritation of the lining of the stomach and could develop into cancer but it isn't cancer. It could be due to very high acid levels in your stomach. It means that the cells are being replaced faster than normal ( may be due to injury)

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/03/28

Hallo Shona