Question
Posted by: Sophie | 2011-11-24

Interview

I went for an interview on Monday for a higher position in my company. I prepared well in advance for the interview. I need this job more than anything and now I am so destructed at work that I constantly think about whether I passed the interview or not, did I answer this question and that one the way I was supposed to. I have been in this company for 13 years now and because of nepotism I don’ t see myself ever growing. I am a hard worker and put much effort on my work to such an extend that even our managers know me. But when it comes to promotions they recommend their families and relatives. I applied a lot and nothing positive is coming my way. Sometimes I would even think that God has abandoned me. Right now I ''m from the loo, cried a bit and prayed a bit. Please I need your support and prayers on this or anything that will make me feel like “ this time I made it” .

You did the interview well. Re-running it in your mind, like re-writing the same exam, only makes you more anxious, and doesn't improve your chances. Nepotism is sad, as the relatives should prosper on their own bat if they have any talent and work hard, but to prefer them automatically to better candidates is something which ultimately seriously damages companies foolish enough to do this.
Keep applying for other posts in other companies, rather than relying on one unrealiable and apparently unappreciative company.
Just saying's response is very experienced and sensible, so re-read it carefully.

3
Posted by: Just saying | 2011-11-24

Sophia, it''s always difficult when you don''t succeed at an interview. This practice is nepatism, and it''s really sad that it''s happening in your workplace. If it is, and it upsets you so much, then look for something outside your current company. If you are confident that this practice is taking place, and people who are being appointed do not qualify for the position, then question the practice with your HR, or refer the matter to the CCMA. If you really want to stay where you are, then I recommend that you make an appointment with your HR Department and ask them to give you feedback on your interview. Why you were not successful? What were they looking for that you did not have? What are the areas that you need to develop yourself in? You have every right to ask for this information, and they are obliged to provide you with it.

If it is a particular field that you are showing interest in, then I can allso suggest that you avail yourself to help in that department/position when someone is off sick or on leave, or even when they are just very busy and need help. You can also ask to be exposed to certain areas of the job, and also to be give on the job training, all in line with your personal development plan. This will enable you to gain the skills and knowledge you need, and place you in a better place next time. Don''t expect any pay difference, or overtime, do it because you want to and are willing to do whatever it takes to show that you WANT this job.

It is possible too that others have a " perception"  about you. Perhaps they see you as a " trouble maker"  or that you are " very quiet" , whatever it may be, they may have a perception about it, so when you meet with your HR, ask them to give you constructive criticism. Do not get defensive if they tell you something you didn''t want to hear. Just be willing and open to listen, and then try really hard to work on those areas to change their perceptions.

You might also want to ask them straigh out if you will ever be successful in your applciations. If you are willing to hear the answer, then tell them you want to know, so that you know what to do about your future.

Good luck for your future, an chin up!

Reply to Just saying
Posted by: Maria | 2011-11-24

Start applying for positions in other companies.

Reply to Maria