Question
Posted by: monday | 2010/08/02

intervention necessary

good day dietdoc

if i have a BMI of 14 but with no symptoms of malnutrition is it still necessary for a doctor to intervene?

why does society make everyone believe that having a lower BMI is absolutely deathly for everyone. arent we all different and if i HAD symptoms then yes, fair enough, intervention is needed because my body is telling me, but i am feeling good.

sorry for the additional vent.

Dear Monday
You don't mention your age or gender, but in general adult women who have a BMI below 18, are considered to be underweight and if your BMI is 4 stages lower at 14, then it is very possible that you may well be within the anorexic or severely malnourished range. The decision to seek assistance rests with you if you are older than 18, but I would recommend that you have a medical checkup just to make sure that you are not suffering from deficiencies: iron, calcium, protein, zinc, etc. If your blood tests are normal and in the case of women, you are still menstruating then there is probably no cause for concern. It is important to remember that many deficiencies do not show direct symptoms, for example brittle bones due to calcium deficiency will only become apparent if you break a bone. A friend of mine who had a similar BMI started displaying symptoms of scurvy, hair loss and heart problems, so it is always a good idea to have a checkup to be sure.
Take care

1

Dear Monday
Take care