Posted by: Shawn Gillespie | 2012-04-02

Intermittent unproductive cough for 5 months

In December I came down with a cold. I managed to shake it with home treatment but developed a cough. At first it was productive but for a few weeks I was just coughing because of an itch.
I''d describe it as hacking. Sometimes it causes a kind of muscle spasm in the chest muscles. But I''d say more the deeper muscle tissue.

Since then I seem to get these coughs with no other symptoms of illness mainly at night or in the morning and it seems to be brought on or worsened by the cold.

I haven''t noticed any problems breathing. I exercise 3 times a week and no marked problems.

Last night and today were the first time I''ve coughed in about a month. And strangely I feel very run down today.

I''m self-employed and on limited income so I don''t want to waste money going to the doctor if there''s nothing to worry about.

You will have to consult a pulmonologist, as it is possible that you have a viral infection or a mild form of allergic ashtma. Unfortunately, there is not much that I can suggest, as a clear diagnosis will have to be made.

Posted by: Mary Kay | 2014-02-19

I too have been coughing intermittently for 5 months. Triggers set me off but I'm not sure exactly what they are. It could be in a movie theatre, getting in the truck, sitting in my bedroom. My chest hurts as it feels like the intercostal muscles are pulled. Not much energy but no fever. I do have asthma, but seldom have problems with it if not sick. The inhalers don't seem to be giving me relief and I definitely have a wheezing sound. I wondered if mold spores from an old motel heater blasting my face started this.

Reply to Mary Kay