Posted by: Glenda | 2010-02-10

I have had thyroid bloods and GP said the results were good. But I have had persistent &  intermittent hoarse scratchy voice for about three months now. No post nasal drip, chest Xrays were clear. No TB. Could this be related to polycystic ovarian syndrome, or anything else to oncern me, other than check for
nodules on voice box? thanks

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Glenda

Hoarseness that persists for longer than three weeks needs to be examined by an ENT surgeon. This involves a indirect laryngoscopy (examination of the vocal cords). Only if this is normal, one may look for other causes, ranging from reflux (LPR) and voice abuse, to medication. As you mentioned, nodules may also be a cause, but this needs to be confirmed. There is no relation to POS , so the main concern would be to EXCLUDE malignancy of the vocal cords.