Question
Posted by: wanda | 2010/08/22

intermenstrual bleeding &  pregnancy

Can I get pregnant even though I have intermenstrual bleeding? It goes on for about 1 week, which starts about 2 weeks after my period.

I have been on oral contraceptives, but they didn''t stop the bleeding. I am on the patch for almost a year, the bleeding got less but didn''t go away

Dear Wanda

It is important to determine whether the bleeding is from the inside of the womb (endometrium) or from an alternative lower genital source such as the cervix. If the bleeding were from the endometrium then this would impact on your fertility and would make conception extremely unlikely. Should this be the case further investigations will be necessary and may require an endometrial biopsy or some form of endometrial clean up (Curettage). It is also important to exclude other hormonal imbalances such as Thyroid problems and also investigate you for a bleeding or clotting defect.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/08/27

Dear Wanda

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert