Question
Posted by: Casey | 2011-09-24

Interfering parents

I just want to know if parents have the right to infere in their childrens life (especially in terms of the finances) if the children are all grown up (28 years old). My parents always want to know about my finances and they always want to tell me what I should do with my finances. I am 28 years old, have a job and receive a salary. I also pay my own bills. If I want something, I buy it with my own money.

No legal or moral right whatever, and they shouldd maybe be reminded of that. If they were subsidizing you or contributing to your finances, it might be reasonable for them to take an interest in how you spent the money, but otherwise, you are indep[endent, and they should mind their own business unless you ask for advice.
If you are living with them, they may have some grounds for interest, as they would be in effect contributing. Maybe they'd like you to be more financially secure and able to move out ?

3
Posted by: Maria | 2011-09-25

Do they interfere in other areas of your life, or is it just finances? Unless you are in a position where you need, or will probably need in the future, their financial assistance then it is none of their business. However in our parents'' eyes we are never quite grown up... and sometimes it is best to just nod and smile when they offer advice, thank them for it and then go ahead and do your own thing.

Rereading your message though I''m wondering if perhaps you are living with them? Could it be that they feel if you manage your finances better you could be independent?

Reply to Maria

Posted by: View point........... | 2011-09-24

Are you saving, do you have debt ,are you on the property ladder,are you responsible with your income, do u have insurance ,do u have a financial adviser and are investing.
Do they have reason to think u r irresponsible with your finances.
Maybe they ask because the answers to the above are not good!
Parents usualy want the best for their kids,maybe there interfering is there way of showing love and concern?

Reply to View point...........