Question
Posted by: Sensible | 2009-07-01

Interesting points about Dr Phil

Dear Prof Simpson
I read with interest your " assessment"  of Dr Phil. Thank you for laying it out so well. I have always felt uncomfortable watching and listening to him and my friends said it' s because I just don' t like him. There is something fake about him. I am not a psychologist but I find him doing 90% of the talking, which I think is not right for a professional and he is very impatient with the audience and like to have the final say. I also find his doing the show with the wife a bit of a turn-off, you know, as if he is trying too hard to prove to the world that he has a " perfect"  marriage. I am not sure if the wife is also a psychologist or whether Dr Phil' s knowledge " rubbed"  on her but she has answers for the audience, which she should not be providing. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I am happy that someone else is also skeptical of him.

Thanks again --- the article on Phil ( I think there may have been 2 ) should be findable by doing a search within H24, though I understand the search function is to be improved, as it misses out some of our best pieces. My Michael Jackson first piece appeared last week, and may get a follow-up soon.
I agree very much with your assessment ( and I couldn't find evidence of him being currently, or for some time, actually registered as a professional ) --- he's so bombastic, and always does most of the talking ; his concept of a solution to anyone's problems is for everyone to agree with him. You have no duty to like him or to accept the marketing that says he's marvellous. I find his "solutions" unrealistic, simplistic, and naive

3
Posted by: Ja | 2009-07-02

I' m with CS on this, only i feel a bit stronger - Dr Phil is an idiot!

Reply to Ja
Posted by: Lot | 2009-07-01

Tammy you mean CyberShrink " CS"  not the doctor, i have learnt that all this psychologist, psychiatrist excuse my spelling, shrinks and doctors are people, they will give you advice based on their experience and what they have experienced with other people, their is just to put things into perspective, not that they are right all the time, they guessing and thinking.

Reply to Lot
Posted by: Tammy | 2009-07-01

where is this, i' d like to read it because im feeling the same about the doctor as well

Reply to Tammy