Question
Posted by: Dave | 2012/05/31

Interesting article on female breast

Hi doc

I thoroughly enjoyed your article on female breasts on health24. It is interesting to note that most peoples obsession with large mammaries is culturally driven and not an evolutionary/instinctive phenomena. With my love for smaller breasts and also a pronounced erotic interest in female feet I fully embrace my own idiocyncracy and feel proud not to be part of the brainwashed mainstream pop culture.

When they reprint an article I wrote a while back, it sometimes takes me by surprise ! Thanks for the mammry, indeed. Yes, breasts. Or as Dudley Moore used to call them, when trying to be polite, "busty substances".
There are indeed cultural factors at work, and culture changes over time. Even within traditional white Western European culture, large breasts were not always considered desirable, and clothing might wrap breasts tightly to reduce their prominence. And I think in recent years Western tastes has swung more back towards favouring smaller breasts, and there are many actresses and models with really small breasts who even wear low-cut and similar clothes that greatly emphasize what they don't have, so it must be a relatively recent cultural trend. Maybe it represents, in the financial austerity, a form of Down-sizing ?
And then there is always the strictly personal preferences, which don't always fit the cultural norms.
Feet, too, wander in and out of general popular fashion. Some like them large, and the ancient Chinese engaged in horribly cruel foot-binding to force women's feet into deformed tiny shapes. Tastes vary, but some, like the foot-binding, are always unacceptable and deplorable, as they involve harming others.

1