Question
Posted by: Lands | 2010/07/27

Intense Throbbing During Exercise

Hi, I''ve been doing gym for a long time now and recently started getting an intense throbbing behind my left eye during my workout. I walk into the gym, full of energy, rearing to go and while I''m busy with my 1st set, I literally count and by the time I get to no 5 or 6, it feels like my eye is going to explode. I wouldn''t call it a headache ''cos my whole head doesn''t really ache, most of the pain comes from behind the eye, and always the same eye. I''ve been to see a neurologist and had all the tests (including MRI) which proved " positive" , nothing seemed to be wrong but it doesn''t go away. The Doc prescribed 3 x 400mg Ibuprofen when I feel it coming on but I actually don''t feel it coming on...it''s like 1, 2, 3, 4 and BAM, there it is. The Ibuprofen don''t work either, even 3 of them. I am really at my wits end ''cos not only is it extremely painful but I can''t get the workout I want and need. Where can I go from here?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Lands,

First, if the neurologist could not find the problem then all it means is that it is not a neurological problem. Medication is also not the answer as it does not address the cause of the problem. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2010/07/27

Dear Lands,

Reply to Headache expert