Question
Posted by: Zaza | 2010/10/15

Insurbodination?

have been working wih this person for just over a year. We are in a formal environment, open plan. I found her here and she has been giving me attitude from day 1, its gonna take too long to elaborate.

The bottom line is that she makes too many errors in her work, there was one time when the big bosses wanted her retrenched or something but i said no even though she sees me as the enemy.

all i want is for her to do her work and nothing else. 2 months ago she made another error, actually 2, and i decided to speak to HR and i gave her a written warning. ever since that warning, im getting attitude times 2. You should see her e mail responses to me, we dont even have a proper verbal communication bcos she simply does not want to speak to me! I dont have a problem with that but unfortunately she reports to me and somehow we have to do the work for the good of the company.

One time we had a unit meeting the 3 of us with another member of the team and while i was talking she just started laughing and when i asked her to share the joke she became defensive. thats just what i have to put up with. Not long ago she was talking about me with the kitchen lady in my presence not just mentioning my name! I mean really now... I am trying to be the bigger person but its hard.

On wednesday she was busy with a task and e mailed it to me, it was so half done i decided to not to respond by mail but to ask her to come and discuss it with me. I just wanted to show her where she went wrong and correct it but she did not even want to listen to what i had to say she was insisting hers was correct. I tried to show her that her process was correct but she did not do everything that she needed to do. It ended up being a screaming match! So embarrasing. Before the end of the day we had another misunderstanding and also i had to show her that she was incorrect after she insisted i was wrong and mind u we are in an open plan other staff members are aware of this rift. Im just so tired now.

I know im not perfect but im at a point where i want to file for a grievance and tell management the trust has broken and i cant work with her anymore. what could be the consequences?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: INSUBORDINATION

Everytime someone demonstrates insubordinate behaviour it is necessary for you to give them a warning. Normally warnings are given in groups of three and thereafter on the fourth occasion a disciplinary hearing is held. It is necessary for you to raise these issues immediately with management so that they can take the necessary action.

3
Posted by: Jacques | 2010/12/10

As a supervisor/manager you should know that it is not your job to be friends with all your subordinates. You are there to manage a team to optimal performance.

I think you have sadly handled the entire afair wrong, from the first error you should have calmly explained any errors or mistakes and tried to find a solution together with your subordinate. Most people welcome advise and guidance from their superiors. If a counciling does not help to resolve the problem and insubordination and poor work continues follow the disiplinary steps as put forward by your company.

Try to stay aloof from office gossip.

Hope you get this situation sorted.

Reply to Jacques
Posted by: ? | 2010/10/26

if she reports to you you are her superior and should never be so unprofessional as to have a screaming match with her - you should also know as a superior that every thing should be documented ie the unit meeting and the kichen incident. i would never expect someone who has people reporting to them to state they cannot work with anyone,you seem badly trained and too emotional for your current position..in any career you will get attitude and it is your lack of supervisory skills that causes a staff member 2 not talk to u - i do not think you should be in your current role as you are lacking too many basic skills in leadership - do yourself a favour and admit to hr u r out of your depth, if you raise a greivance hr will realise this anyway - she is not the problem u r. sorry 4 the typing my pa does all my correspodance normally- sorry to be so hard-but your manager should have already picked up on your deficiences and advised you accordingly.

Reply to ?
Posted by: Labour Lawyer | 2010/10/19

RE: INSUBORDINATION

Reply to Labour Lawyer