Question
Posted by: Zaza | 2010/10/15

Insurbodination?

I have been working wih this person for just over a year. We are in a formal environment, open plan. I found her here and she has been giving me attitude from day 1, its gonna take too long to elaborate.

The bottom line is that she makes too many errors in her work, there was one time when the big bosses wanted her retrenched or something but i said no even though she sees me as the enemy.

all i want is for her to do her work and nothing else. 2 months ago she made another error, actually 2, and i decided to speak to HR and i gave her a written warning. ever since that warning, im getting attitude times 2. You should see her e mail responses to me, we dont even have a proper verbal communication bcos she simply does not want to speak to me! I dont have a problem with that but unfortunately she reports to me and somehow we have to do the work for the good of the company.

One time we had a unit meeting the 3 of us with another member of the team and while i was talking she just started laughing and when i asked her to share the joke she became defensive. thats just what i have to put up with. Not long ago she was talking about me with the kitchen lady in my presence not just mentioning my name! I mean really now... I am trying to be the bigger person but its hard.

On wednesday she was busy with a task and e mailed it to me, it was so half done i decided to not to respond by mail but to ask her to come and discuss it with me. I just wanted to show her where she went wrong and correct it but she did not even want to listen to what i had to say she was insisting hers was correct. I tried to show her that her process was correct but she did not do everything that she needed to do. It ended up being a screaming match! So embarrasing. Before the end of the day we had another misunderstanding and also i had to show her that she was incorrect after she insisted i was wrong and mind u we are in an open plan other staff members are aware of this rift. Im just so tired now.

I know im not perfect but im at a point where i want to file for a grievance and tell management the trust has broken and i cant work with her anymore. what could be the consequences?

Shouldn't the warnings have specifically referenced these Attitude problems, too ? Sometimes it's hard to act like "the Bigger person" when someone else is so determined to behave like a Tiny Person. Sounds like she feels awfully threatened by you, and doesn't know how to deal with this, other than by bhaving in these self-damaging ways. Its understandable that you would consider proceeding to a Grievance procedure ( it seems that nobody in HR has achieved anything by interviewing her, and seeking to help her improve her standards of work and behaviour ? ) - but I don't see how we can predict the outcome.
Purple's suggestions are indeed very helpful, though they do require a fair amount of maturity and goodwill on the part of this problem woman. She does raise the sort of points which you, and thenHR should have checked with this woman, to seek to understand her negative behaviors.

3

Posted by: Jigga | 2010/10/15

Put your foot down! You are a seniour and are not paid to look after little girls. Management wanted to get rid of her but you played hero. Talk to her and make her aware that if she doesn''t come to the party then it''s curtains. Your softness is letting down the company and you are embarrasing yourself. If i was your seniour, i''d start by firing you because you are not being proffesional by not firiring an unproffesional employee.

Reply to Jigga
Posted by: Purple | 2010/10/15

I think you need to try to re-start the relationship again.
Tell her you''d like to take her out for cofee and cake or soemthing.
Sit with her and explain that you think the two of you got off on the wrong foot and you''d like to resolve things. This should lessen her need to be defensive, as people do that when they feel attacked (even if it seems strnage to us that they should feel attacked).

Ask her what concerns her about her work situation, reporting to you and her work tasks.

Explain to her that you don''t feel that she is living up to her true capabilities and you know that she can do better than she''s doing on her tasks.
Explain to her how you would like things done and ask her what suggestions she has for how they could be done better.

Then tell her you''d like to meet with her once a month in one of your boardrooms or somewhere convenient int he office for both of you and discuss her progress.

IF there is still no improvement, then approach HR again - it is their job to give you advice and to help you resolve things.
If you gave her a warning and her behaviour has continued and she still has her bad attitude - then they should advise you to hold another disciplinary session (they should actually be present at these and guide you on how to handle them) and you can apply progressive discipline and give her a final written warning.

As you are her manager, if you file a grievance, questions are going to be asked about why you are doing this and not managing the situation, so give it another shot before going that route. Good luck.

Reply to Purple