Question
Posted by: Tracey2 | 2009-06-17

Insulin Resistant Diet

Hi Dietdoc

I wrote to you last week and asked my doctor to check if I was insulin resistant as you suggested. I am definitely. He tested kidneys, liver, thyroid, iron, sugar and insulin, cholestrol. All was fine except the insulin and my cholestrol is 6, he told me it must be 5. I have been on cortisone for allergic asthma for 41 years so he said that is a big factor. I understand as he explained it to me, but does it mean that I will get Diabetes? They can' t give me Glucophage (my mom is Diabetic) as I suffer from allergies and in particular drug sensitivities. I must exercise a lot and follow a low GI diet he said, avoid potatoes. I am at a loss. I am starving all the time and can' t afford to go to a Dietician. What should I do actually i.e. which of your diets on-line may be best for me? I am a 43 year old female, not active as in not exercising. When you are insulin resistant does it explain why I have been very tired, irritable, having dizzy spells, cravings or is that only when you have Diabetes? I have had thrush for 5 years so I do take Probiflora daily. He said that is all part of it. Help!!!
Tracey

Dear Tracey2
I am so sorry to hear that you have insulin resistance (IR) on top of your asthma. As I mentioned, this could be either genetic seeing that your dear Mom is diabetic, or a side-effect of the cortisone. But as you mentioned at least the cortisone keeps you alive. Now this does not mean that you will automatically develop diabetes. Provided you eat a low-GI diet and do plenty of exercise every day (select a type of exercise that you can do without making your asthma worse), then you should lose weight and prevent the IR developing into diabetes. Now as I also said, it is very important to at least see a dietitian once (this should not cost too much) so that the dietitian can help you with the low-GI, low-fat diet. I don't know where you live, but if you are in Gauteng please phone Hilda Lategan, a dietitian who is an expert in IR and diabetes and has published 2 diabetic cookbooks. Contact her on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za . In the meanwhile do read up on the principles of the glycaemic index on this Website by clicking on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index'. Eating a low-fat, low-GI diet does not mean that you need to starve or cut out all potatoes, but it is quite a tricky concept to apply so that is why I would really urge you to save up to see a dietitian. Your IR does explain why you are very tired, irritable and have dizzy spells and cravings - these are all symptoms of not being able to utilise your blood sugar properly.
For your own sake please get to see a dietitian.