Question
Posted by: Fatso | 2008-12-08

Insulin resistant and morbidly obese

I am 32 years old and have been fat for the past 7 years. I now weigh 115 kilos and i keep trying just about everything and yet the weight does not move. I now even go to gym 6 days a week. I work with a personal trainer three times per week and on the other 3 days i do cardio for 40 mins. I am following a good diet whereby i ensure i get my veggies and fruits in, as well as my dairy and yet still i do not lose any weight.

I have had the fasting blood sugar test where they tested my blood first thing in the morning after not eating from 8pm the previous night but it came back normal. My waist circumference is the largest point on my body and i look like a big fat apple.

I am so tired of being so fat, i just do not know what else to do. What is so wrong with my system that i cannot lose weight?

Dear Reader
Firstly I think that it is wonderful that you have joined a gym and are doing daily exercise - this is indeed a step in the right direction. I do think that it may be a good idea to consult an endocrinologist (a medical dr who specialises in hormone imbalances) to see if you do not have a hormone imbalance (e.g. thyroid, female hormones if you are a woman). If you are given a clean bill of health, then discuss the use of Xenical with the specialist. Xenical is a real fat-trapper that prevents you from absorbing fat from what you eat. Xenical is, however expensive so it would help if your dr could motivate for this medication to be paid for by your medical aid. You would use the Xenical with a very-low-fat-diet and this will help you to start losing. So see if you can get Xenical prescribed for your condition.
Hang in there and keep up the good work with the exercise.

3
Posted by: MJ | 2008-12-08

Hi there, It is kinda comforting to know that I am not the only one.
I am 34 weigh 119kgs am insulin intolerant, have high cholsetrol 7.7, and have a bmi of 43 I watch what I eat but find that I do not do enough excersise. I find that I eat all the time. I suffer from depression and eat when upset. This does not help, I am tired of being fat, but cant get my mind right. I will pray for you too.
MJ

Reply to MJ
Posted by: Fatso | 2008-12-08

Thanks for your response Annie. I have had my cholesterol tested (which is a bit high - 5.8) and my thyroid tested which came back normal. I did go see a dietician and i am following the guildlines from that. I do battle with ovarian cysts though.... i wonder if it is not linked? Every year for the past four years i have had to have huge ovarian cysts removed. I usually get two or three at a time. I am ovulating properly and it is not PCOS (from what i know, because i do ovulate). I do try Weight Watchers which seems to help somewhat, but i find unless i half starve myself the weight does not move.

I will wait for Diet Doc to reply and go from there :)

Reply to Fatso
Posted by: Annie | 2008-12-08

Hi there, i really feel for you, you really going through a tough time, have you ever tested your hormones cause that plays a big role in not loosing weight. Just hold on to what you doing you doing it right just give it time don' t give up, your body is maybe adjusting to this system you using, why don' t you also go see a dietician? Let DietDoc also answer you on your question she maybe has a better answer. God bless

Reply to Annie