Posted by: CC | 2009-01-12

Insulin Resistant &  Thyroid - which diet

I have been recently diagnosed with Insulin Resistance and have suffered from Underactive Thyroid. I have a BMI of 32.

I was given a diet (Low GI) from a clinical dietician, but my weight loss was very slow, basically consisted of 5 Carbs (inclu fruit, dairy, veg and wholegrains) and 3 proteins per day.

I then went to see another dietician and was put on a high protein low carb, i was allowed a carb every second day, but only 1 portion and allowed 1 fruit per day, i have lost quickly but after silly season have picked up all that i lost.

What do you think is the better option?
Many thanks

Dear CC
I am personally not in favour of high-protein diets because despite the fact that they cause rapid weightloss, patients tend to regain all the weight they lose the moment they stop eating only proteins as you yourself have just demonstrated. I would persevere with the low-GI diet, but add at least 30 or more minutes of aerobic exercise to my regimen (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). On this type of regimen you should lose between 0,5 and 1 kg per week - slow, but steady. In view of your insulin resistance you will also need to continue to eat a low-GI diet once you have lost the required weight.