Question
Posted by: Brendan | 2011/04/05

Insulin resistant

Good day

I was diagnosed as being insulin resistant, the doctor prescribed Glucophange and send me on my way. Is there a specific diet I can follow as my weight just increases even though I exercise. I just have one other problem I am also allergic to most raw fruits (my tongue swells and throats closes up) so I batlle to find a proper diet. Please help me I am really desparate.

Dear Brendan
It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight and your allergy to raw fruits, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Applying a low-fat, low-GI diet can be tricky at the beginning and the dietitian will guide you until you are used to eating this kind of diet. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so keep up to good work with the exercise, but concentrate on doing more aerobic-type exercises (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). join a gym or Walk for Life).

1

Dear Brendan