Question
Posted by: Heidi | 2011/10/04

insulin resistance causing weight gain and making me miserable

I used to be a size 32, but after my 2nd pregnancy I gained a lot of weight around my mid section and upper arms (which is strange, since I normally never gained weight here). I''ve tried everything, but can''t seem to lose the weight. After going to a dietician, she informed me that I am showing signs of insulin resistance, but she didn''t prescribe anything except a diet which consists almost entirely out of " specialised" /" deli"  foods. Since she is so expensive and following such an expensive diet with a whole family to feed I have not been able to follow it completely and not been able to go back to her. Is there anything at all which I could take to aid my insulin resistance, aside from exercising, cutting high GI carbs and eating regular small meals? I''m so fed up and miserable, I don''t even want to go out of the house as I''m embarassed by my weight.

Dear Heidi
I am sorry that you are feeling so miserable and distressed. If there is a possibility that you do suffer from insulin resistance (IR) then it is important that you have this condition confirmed by your medical doctor. Please make an appointment and tell your doctor that your dietitian suspects that you have IR and that you would like him/her to send you for the relevant tests. If you test positive for IR, then please ask the doctor if you require medications for your condition. If you do have IR then it is important for you to use a low-fat, low-GI diet to lose weight and to keep your blood sugar and insulin levels steady. If you visit the Website of the Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: www.gifoundation.com you will be able to obtain more information on how to apply the diet without having to buy expensive deli foods. The GI Foundation also sells books that explain the principles of the diet and how to apply it in everyday life. Also click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. With this information you should be able to plan your food intake so that it is not so expensive. Doing regular aerobic exercise like going for brisk walks, skipping, cycling swimming, or rowing for 30 min a day will also help you to control your blood sugar and insulin levels. Ask Fitness Doc to give you some exercises that target the tummy and upper arms.
I do hope that you will be able to put the information that is available on the low-fat, low-GI diet into practice successfully so that you can lose the weight you have gained after your 2nd pregnancy.

1

Dear Heidi