Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2011/05/04

Insulin resistance, breastfeeding and appetite

Dear Doc

My BMI is 29.9, I am breasfeeding (8 month old baby) and I am constantly hungry. I have recently re-started my Weighless diet which was formulated specifically for my breastfeeding needs, but I remain hungry? I suspect that I am insulin resistant (purely from my BMI and waist circumference) or hyperinsulinemic which would account for my increased appetite. My thyroid is normal. Is there anything I can do or meds that are safe during breastfeeding to help curb my appetite?

thanks!

Dear Racoon
Good to hear from you again, if you are the same Reader called Racoon who has written to me before about Eglonyl and later on about losing weight while breastfeeding. I did mention that you can start introducing your son to weaning foods and reduce the breast feeding slightly so that you can eat a balanced slimming diet and do exercise. None of the appetite suppressants available on prescription or over-the-counter should be used if you are still breastfeeding because the active ingredients are excreted in breast milk. If you suspect that you may be insulin resistant (IR), then please first have the necessary tests done to determine if you have IR or not. The dr will also be able to recommend medications such as Glucophage if this should be necessary and advise if you should stop breastfeeding. It is essential for anyone with IR to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).

1

Dear Racoon