Question
Posted by: nicolette | 2011/02/22

insulin resistance and training

hi, please advise me how to get the balance right, i have been going to the gym now for more than a year got my fat% down to in the normal range and then suddenly from november 2010 to recently picked up weight and fat% went to the doc blood test show i am insulin resistant and my thyriod is under active meds given was glucophage 500mg 2x day and diotroxin my problem is that i am doing cardio (walking briskly 1min jogging 1min for 20min doing the bike thing 15 sec hard 15 sec slow for 7min and orbitrek and i do the circuit and ball excerises but i cant shift any weight this is making me wondering what am i doing wrong?

if one wants to lose weight and tone do you do say 20 reps low weight or 20 reps heavy?

i am 38 1 78m tall and a whopping 80kg!

i need to change this soon haha

Hi Nicolette

Well, obviously a lot changed for you in Nov/Dec last year, but you shouldn't panic or make too many changes just yet - you know what worked for you last year, because it sounds like you achieved a great deal. And now, the difference is not the training, it's the condition and the medication.

So I think there are two things you need to look at before you look at training. First is the meds - is that dosage optimal for you, and is it effective? That's something for your doctor to discuss, and to monitor, but something to bear in mind. Then second, is your diet optimal? It's unusual to suddenly develop a thyroid problem, though insulin resistance can gradually develop. Either way, diet is absolutely vital, possibly as a cause, but now as a way to combat it.

So a dietician is very important, I'd see one and have them look at your current diet, make some suggestions, prescribe a meal plan and so forth. very important to do this.

once you've done that, then give it some time. There's nothing obvious that jumps out at me saying you're training badly. What you might look at doing is lengthening the cardio training by lowering the intensity - I'm not convinced 15 seconds on, 15 seconds off is the best way for 7 minutes. I'd say 15 minutes, maybe going 30/30 would be more effective on each of the bike and orbitrek.

Then, re the weights, better to go 20 reps low weight - you can't do 20 heavy. If you can do 20, it's a low weight. The alternative would be 10 reps heavy, but I'd stick with a lower weight, more reps. And 2 or 3 sets are important too.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/02/27

Hi Nicolette

Reply to fitnessdoc