Posted by: Lyn | 2012-11-14

Insulin Resistance

Recently I had blood tests and was diagnosed with insulin resistance. I am quite worried as my family has a strong history of diabetes (type 1 &  2) I am 45, slightly overweight. all my other tests were normal - cholestrol, blood pressure etc

I am now following a low GI diet, is this correct? After I eat I feel slightly lightheaded and shaky, then it settles after about 30 min what is the reason for this?

I am eating Low GI bread and a boiled egg for breakfast
fruit for mid morning snack
lunch provita with avo and cottage cheese or tuna
fruit for afternoon snack and some nuts
supper skinless chicken or lean meat, veges, salad
I sometimes have 3 baby potatoes or wholewheat couscous with my supper

Am I on the right track? I also take manna blood sugar support which seems to help

Dear Lyn
I think you are on the right track but that your diet needs some fine tuning, esp because your family have a tendency to develop diabetes. I would, therefore, recommend that you consult a registered dietitian. It is in fact essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications/supplements and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).
But for your own sake, do please consult a registered dietitian first.