Posted by: Cara | 2012-10-15

insulin resistance???

I have not been feeling well for sometime. had my glucose level testet and it was 3.7 I have a mild headache, and feel light headed and shaky most of the day, during the afternoon the symtpoms are worse and i feel vey tired. the last few days my eyes feel blurry. When I last tested my glucose the sister said i should perhaps have a dr test for insulin resistance? I dont understand why she said this as I see from reading that it is related to high blood sugar, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. My blood sugar is low, my BP is normal as is my cholesterol ?? I am overweight but not obese at all. I cant get to the bottom of this. A year ago I did one of those glucose tests (fasting then drinking the solution ) it was normal. It is not a good feeling to feel so lightheaded and sluggish. there is a strong family history of diabetes. I am a female mid 40" s pleae give me some direction thanks

You are definately not a diabetic. Insulin resistance can be present and must be confirmed by a blood test. I do not think that your general feeling of malaise is due to insulin resistance. There are a multitude of other reasons that can be the cause for your symptoms. You will have to consult your doctor for a lung function test, ECG and blood tests. It is important to exclude conditions like anemia and thyroid disease. Unfortunately, I do not have a quick fix and you will have to consult a doctor.