Question
Posted by: lynette | 2012/07/17

insulin resistance

Hey, I recently started showing many symptoms of insulin resistance such as weight gain and difficulty to lose weight, hirsutism, etc. Should i go to a doctor and can they actually diagnose insulin resistance? Also, is there medication treatment to treat the symptoms? thank you! :)

Dear Lynette
I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing symptoms of hirsutism, and weight gain. I would recommend that you do see a medical specialist such as an Endocrinologist so that he/she can determine what is causing your hormone imbalance and if you are suffering from insulin resistance and/or polycystic ovary syndrom and/or metabolic syndrome. Insulin resistance is determined by doing a Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) and determining both your blood glucose and insulin levels for a period of time. The specialist will arrange for this test to be done at a laboratory. At the same time, the specialist will also arrange for you to have the levels of your other hormones tested (e.g. female and male hormone levels, possibly thyroid hormones, etc). The results of such tests will then make it possible for the specialist to diagnose where the hormonal imbalance lies and to decide on treatment. For example, insulin resistance (IR) may be treated with Glucophage or oral antidiabetic medications. If you are diagnosed with IR, then tt is essential for you to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).

1

Dear Lynette