Question
Posted by: Anita | 2012/07/02

Insulin Resistance

I am insulin resistant, but not to such an extent that I need medication. I would like to know which option - exercise and diet aside - will help most with weight loss for me?

A Insulin Resistance Med, EG Antagolin

or

A Fat Burner?

Dear Anita
I am not convinced that these so-called 'Fat burners' help with weightloss, so I would not recommend their use, esp if you have a metabolic problem such as insulin resistance. Some Readers have said that they use Antagolin, but as it has not been exposed to exhaustive testing yet, I cannot really recommend it either. If you use an insulin resistance medication such as Glucophage this will hopefully help with weightloss, but the correct diet and exercise remain the primary aids to improving insulin resistance and weightloss. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).

2
Posted by: Karen | 2012/07/03

As a fellow sufferer, I found that combining medication( Glucophage called metformin in the uk) with diet and exercise while not quick, did help shed a few kilo''s and I have only been on it for 2 months . Not only that I have loads of energy which I didn''t have before. it is well worth asking your doctor about this.

Reply to Karen

Dear Anita