Question
Posted by: marike | 2010/12/06

insulin resistance

Hi Doctor,

My latest insulin level came back at 14. I am currently on glucophage 1000mg a day. All my other hormone levels are excellent, my thyroid, cortisol, iron etc are all perfect.

I am currently gaining weight at a dangerous pace despite my glucophage, low gi diet and regular excercise with my trainer.
(i gained 20 kg in the last year and a half, currently gaining about 0.5 - 1kg a week)

My GP and dietician both gave up.
Where do i go next? What do i do now? Do i see an endocrinologist? i am willing to pay with a kidney if it means i stop gaining.

Please help.

Dear Marike
If you are steadily gaining weight despite the Glucophage, low-GI diet and regular exercise, then you should probably be seen by an Endocrinologist. Ask your gp to refer you and to send along ALL the test results your have already obtained so that you can avoid duplication of your tests.
Holding thumbs that you will be able to pinpoint what is causing your progressive weight gain.
Hang in there

1

Dear Marike
Hang in there