Posted by: greg | 2009-08-19

insulin resistance

Hi Vanessa,

Ok, I followed the numerous bits of advice you kindly provided me over a period for fat loss, but unfortunately I am only GAINING more fat... My diet is clean, cardio and weight training is going well, calories are in check as you helped me with, I' ve even decreased my calories a little at a time, but still nothing...
I was wondering why this would be happening, until I remembered, a few years back (+- 6) i went to have my insulin checked. Now I don' t know what the measurment is, but I know that the value is supposed to be around 5 where as mine was 13,7!!!! A bit hectic.... I did quit a bit of research and came across glucophage (3 x 500 or 2 x 850 per day). Could this help me with fat loss. Believe me when I say that I have done just about everything out there, and it makes sense that i could still be insulin resistant, hence looking at carbs makes me fat.

What are your thoughts on this?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Greg

Wow! We never thought of IR – and you are very right that is exactly the reason why you WILL NOT lose weight no matter what you try!

Good news is now I know what to do! Eat only 3 meals per day and not 6! Eat slightly more lean protein than carbs about at 40.40.20 split will do (not the usual 50.30.20 split).
Reduce the calories from baseline to ensure weight loss – about 500 per day not more than 1000 calories per day for a severe effort.

Lastly, and most importantly you can get a script from your doctor for glucophage 850 mg twice per day or follow the natural option – I have often recommended it and always have great results: get Antagolin – take one with each meal and get i-Slim which is your cheat tablet for when you eat out or have a glass of wine – you can take 1-2 then. You will get these products from Dischem and the company that makes it is MNI (medical nutrition institute) – formulated by a Dr and Pharmacist!

Just hang in there and give yourself at least a month before expecting some results – I have seen results within a week. Just remember this is a complex problem that could take many months to bring into control – look into other reasons why you have IR – stress etc.

Good luck and keep me posted!